Learn how to create a spending report in Neat. Neat provides an easy to use report wizard to walk you through the four steps of creating a report. In Neat’s Report Creator Wizard, you can create Tax Reports, Expense Reports, and Spending Reports. If you use Neat 5 for tax purposes, it is a good practice to assign tax categories to receipts and other tax-related documents that you scan. This can save you some time and work during tax season.
The default value for the tax category field is “No form:Non-deductible.” Neat provides a list of over 100 pre-defined tax categories commonly used in the US and Canada. You can select a different tax category in either the Details view or the Grid view from the drop-down list. You can select which tax categories are visible in your views. Please note that you cannot add, edit, or delete tax categories within Neat because tax categories need to match IRS/CRA tax categories. You can use tax categories to create tax reports to help you analyze and organize your financial information for tax purposes.
A spending summary report lets you view expenses grouped by whatever field you choose. Within each group expenses are then summarized by whatever other field you choose, displaying the number of expenses and a total for each value. Follow the steps below to create a spending report.
Neat Tip: Reports contain only receipt data; other items are excluded.
Create a spending report
- Click Report.
- Choose Create New Report. The Report Wizard opens.
- In Step 1 of the Report Wizard you will choose a report type. Click on Spending then click Next Step
- In Step 2 of the Report Wizard you have the option of refining your report. Click Add Filter and then choose the desired parameters from the filters provided. For example:
- If you are looking for a specific receipt amount, choose Amount from the field drop-down list, a mathematical operator from the operator list and then type an amount in the field provided.
- If you are looking for a specific date, choose Receipt Date from the field drop-down list, a date modifier from the operator list and then type a date in the field provided.
- Add additional filters by clicking on the Add Filter button and providing the necessary details, then click Next Step.
Neat Tip: To delete a filter, click Delete Filter.
- In Step 3 of the Report Wizard you will set your report options.
- The default report paper size is 8.5″ x 11″. To choose a different size, select one from the Paper Size drop-down menu.
- The default report orientation is portrait. To choose landscape, click Landscape in the Layout drop-down menu.
- Type a title for the report in the Title field.
- Under the Edit Report Columns heading, design your report by doing the following:
- Under Group By, choose a field to group your report by
- Under Summarize By, choose a field to summarize your report by
- Under Sort By drop-down, choose a field to sort the report by
- Under Sort Order drop-down choose Ascending or Descending
- If you are including images you can select between 2 and 6 images per page under Image Size. If you select Actual you can choose to keep the items in their original order, or arranged to best fit the page. Click Next Step.
- In Step 4 of the Report Wizard you will preview and then export the report.
- Review the report.
- Use the scroll bar on the right side of the window to scroll up and down
- Use the Next Page and Previous button to move from page to page
- Use the First Page and Last Page buttons to move to the first and last pages
- Use the Zoom drop-down menu or icons to make the report larger or smaller
- Click Print to print the report.
- Click Save As to save the report and then choose the appropriate format. You will be prompted for a save location.
- Click Finished to close the report.