Learn how to create a tax report in Neat for Mac. If you use Neat for Mac for tax purposes, it is a good practice to assign tax categories to receipts and other tax-related documents that you scan. This can save you some time and work during tax season.
The default value for the tax category field is “No form::Non-deductible.” Neat for Mac provides a list of over 100 pre-defined tax categories commonly used in the US and Canada. You can select a different tax category in either the Item view or the List view from the drop-down list. You can select which tax categories are visible in your views. Please note that you cannot add, edit, or delete tax categories because tax categories need to match IRS/CRA tax categories.
You can use tax categories to create tax reports to help you analyze and organize your financial information for tax purposes. For example, you can create a tax report for all charitable donations or you can create a tax report for all deductible medical expenses. Follow the steps below to begin creating a tax report in Neat for Mac.
Note: If the report you create in Neat for Mac is too large to email, you can compress the report with the steps here.
Create a tax report
- Click the Report button.
- From the Report Template drop-down menu, choose Tax Report.
To restrict the report to specific dates, click in the Restrict dates from check-box and indicate the dates in the fields provided.To include only items that are currently selected, click in the Only include Selected Items check-box.
- Click Report Options and choose the desired settings for your report.
- You can also choose whether you want only a summary table of field values, only items, or both. If you choose to include a table, the columns of the expense report table will be the same as the columns displayed in the table in the main Cabinet window. To the right of these settings, you can choose to group a summary table by a specific field if desired.
- You can set the number of images per page and whether to include the field values associated with each item.
- You can choose to display page numbers by clicking in the Show Page Numbers check-box.
- To include a cover page, click on the Cover Page tab and provide the information in the fields provided.
- Note that you can use special coding in these fields, which will automatically provide relevant information:
Coding Result %date Today’s date %name Your name (take from the OSX Address Book) %folder The name(s) of the folder(s) included in the report %itemcount The total number of items in the report %itemrange The date range used in the report %templatename The Report Template used for the report
- Click Apply. Your report will be generated.