This article will guide you through the updated process to archive files and folders in Neat 5.
Archiving allows you to remove files and folders you no longer need in your Neat cabinet while creating a backup copy of the same data on your local computer that can be restored if you need access to that data again. Archiving can help make your database smaller and therefore improve response time when navigating from folder to folder in your cabinet.
NOTE: You can transfer archived files to a usb device, external hard drive, or network drive after creating the file but to ensure your file is restored properly always export archived files to your local hard drive first.
1. First select the item(s) or folder in Neat that you wish to archive. Then click the Export button at the top center in Neat 5.6 as shown below:
2. Then click the list for “Select Format” to choose “Archive”:
3. Choose the radio button for “SELECTED ITEM(S)” or “SELECTED FOLDER” depending on whether you wish to archive specific items you already selected or if you wish to archive the entire folder and all items including sub-folders contained within it.
4. Click the “BROWSE” button to select the location on your computer where you will save the archived Neat file.
5. You can then enter a name to save the file at the bottom before clicking “Save”.
HINT: If you are archiving an entire folder, it is recommended to use the same name as the folder for the archived file to make it easier to remember what is in that archive later.
NOTE: Archiving creates the same .ndx file as exporting to a Neat File but the archiving process will completely remove the files or folder from Neat and it will not appear in the Neat trash but will store the data in the .ndx file you save on your local computer.
6. Click “EXPORT” to initiate the archiving process.
NOTE: Clicking “SAVE & EXPORT” will save Archive as your default Export file type.
Your archived file will automatically be created in the location on your local computer that you chose in Step 5.